Monday, February 17, 2014

Cooper Turns 5!

So I've been quiet for awhile, mainly because I've been super busy and also because well it's winter and I can't do any DIY House Projects because it is too dang cold out. But recently, February 14th to be exact, Cooper turned 5! Now I know, what's the big deal about a dog turning 5!?! Well he's my kid, he is so very important to me, he's my protector, my cuddle buddy, my shoulder to cry on, my best friend, and my son. He means the world to me, so I wanted to celebrate his birthday! Now I've only had Cooper for about 2 years now. I got him October 27th, 2011, I actually rescued him and in all honesty I think he rescued me. I had a dog before him a Great Dane Black Lab mix and he had some health issues and passed away, it was heart-breaking and I didn't get over it for awhile. At the time I found Cooper I was living in a house that I rented with some friends so I had a weight restriction on a dog 20lbs or less (Cooper is 30lbs btw) so I knew I had to get me a smaller breed, that's when I discovered American Eskimos. Cooper is the standard size of them, I had wanted a mini one but when I went to go pick one out at the rescue Cooper caught my attention. He was jumping around, playful, so excited; I knew he was the one! From the minute I took him home he has just known I was his and he was mine; he always wants to cuddle with me and HAS to be next to me when I fall asleep. We've had some ups and downs, it took awhile for us to really figure each other out, there are times when I'm in a bad mood and unfortunately he does something and gets yelled at but he is pretty quick to forgive me and there are times where he gets angry and aggressive but I'm pretty quick to forgive him. He takes the over-protectiveness to an extreme, he does not like strangers, does not like guys especially when they are wearing hats or sunglasses, and he does not like it when people come into his house. He will warm up to people eventually but he is a very good judge of character. When I'm sad because of life or whatever is going on and crying he will come right up to me and try to get my attention, he even sits on my phone as to try to stop me from reading texts that make me cry. I'm very lucky to call him my pup. He does so many things to make me smile. I could not be happier that we picked each other that day. Here is a look back over the past few years with Cooper.
The first day I got him, he was so happy to be home with me!

He always has a place in my heart.

Always smiling!


The way he looks at me, I know he loves me


He likes to sit on cats!

And of course he is a Chicago Bears fan!

Such a sleepy puppy sometimes

But always willing to cuddle
Christmas of '11 together!

That face he makes.

So dang photogenic!





Happy after the groomers!

Even loves spending time with his little sis (Shes not so little anymore)

And he knows how to ROCK a Sweater!!

Cooper is 5 today!!

Cuddles for the birthday boy!


My two loves waking me up in the morning


So to celebrate his birthday I did two things for him: 1. I made him a dog friendly birthday cake (which I will explain to you how to make) and 2. I gave him a whole trash bag full of water bottles. (One of Cooper's quirks is that he HATES dog toys of any kind, he is however in LOVE with water bottles, he could play with them for hours, which he did.)


Cooper and all his water bottles! He went crazy for them!

Such a happy birthday boy!

Son & Mom!

Even Bri got in on the birthday fun!

Always trying to give me lovings!



DOG-FRIENDLY BIRTHDAY CAKE RECIPE
1 Egg
1 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Corn Oil
1 Cup Shredded Carrot
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

First mix the flour and the baking soda together in a small bowl and then add the other ingredients one by one, doesn't really matter what order (I saved the egg for last though,) make sure you mix them thoroughly though! Once you're done mixing pour the mixture into a greased pan! I used a 5x8in pan (one you'd use for a loaf of bread) and it maybe filled 1/3 of it. I recommend doubling this recipe if you plan on making this cake for more than one dog. Anyways, make sure the oven is set for 350 degrees and once it is preheated put the pan in the oven for 15-20mins. I checked on it after 15mins and it was just barely not done. Once it is golden brown and thoroughly cooked take it out of the oven. I didn't frost my cake but I'm sure there are some dog safe frosting recipes out there. My dog LOVED his cake. I ended up cutting it in half and stacking the pieces so it was taller rather than wider. Hope your dog loves the cake as much as mine did, btw the cake is human friendly too and I must say its pretty good, especially if you like peanut butter.





Happy Birthday Cooper!!

No comments:

Post a Comment